Pests can be a bane in the existence of homes. They can cause overwhelming damage to our homes without us even knowing, and worse, they can cause illness or disease to us and our families. One of the most frustrating parts is that in some cases, the existence of pests is more obvious, and in other cases, we need professionals to check for us so that they can get rid of the pests once and for all. Aside from seeing the pests with your own eyes, here are some clear-cut signs your home is due for a pest inspection.
Termites’ behavior change according to the stage of infection. Here are some clear-cut signs you need the help of a professional to check:
- Mud tubes on the walls. Termites are known for building shelter tubes that are usually made of dirt, mud, and debris. They create these tubes, so they can transport food to and fro without being seen. These tubes are usually as big as a coin and are usually found on the interior and exterior walls, which then lead up to your home’s entry points.
- Presence of discarded wings, swarmers, or alates.
- Termites are known for consuming woods, which then leave a thin layer of paint or timber. Tap or knock on an area, and if it sounds hollow or papery, it might be a sign that termites have eaten away at it.
- Hard to open doors or windows. When termites eat away at materials like timber, their excrement creates an environment that traps moisture and heat, causing the timber to swell, which can then make doors and windows harder to open.
- Termites also leave droppings, so if you find grainy fecal mounds that look like pellets, you might have a termite infestation. They’re usually found beneath wood that has been infested.
Here are the signs you need to enlist the help of mosquito control specialists to inspect and eventually eliminate mosquito infestation in your home:
- You constantly hear a high-buzzing sound everywhere in your home.
- There is standing water in and around your property.
- You always find mosquitoes in shaded areas in and around your home.
- You’re constantly getting bit by one. It’s one thing to experience being bit by a mosquito now and again, but if it’s a constant problem and something you and your family experience regularly, it means that there are female mosquitoes in your property, which means they’re laying eggs, which entails an inspection is due.
- Your property is in a humid environment.
- There are plenty of mosquitoes all the time during the day. They’re usually more active at nighttime, but when they’re around, even during the daytime, this must mean your home is incredibly infested.
Rats and mice
Here are the clear-cut signs you need to bring in rat or mice infestation specialists to inspect your property:
- There are rodent droppings in your cupboards, drawers, under the sink, and food packages.
- Your food packages have signs of chewing on them.
- There are parts in your floors and walls that have obviously been chewed on, making entryways into your home.
- You catch a whiff of a strange and stale smell that emanates from your home’s hidden and hard-to-reach areas.
- There are nesting materials like fabric, shredded paper, and dried plant matter.
A big ant infestation is not always as visible as other types of infestation. Here are some signs you need to have your home inspected specifically for them:
- You see live ants everywhere, especially ant pathways.
- There are ant nests in your home’s walls or dark places. They usually look like a small pile of dirt or soil.
- You find small piles of dirt in and around your area. They might be nest sites where ants gather and reproduce.
The following are signs you need to have specialists check your home for a cockroach infestation:
- Cockroaches also leave droppings, so watch out for black grainy ones that can usually be found along the walls they travel on or inside cabinets and drawers.
- Smear marks in areas with abundant water.
- Egg cases, which look like oval-shaped casings that are brown or dark brown.
- There are damages in your items such as leather, books, and food packaging. There is a distinctly unpleasant and musty odor in your home’s hidden and hard-to-reach areas.
The one thing we should never scrimp on when it comes to our homes is our family’s health and safety. If there are signs and symptoms of pest infestation in your home, don’t hesitate to call specialists. The costs now will help you save money on more damage and health issues in the long run.